The day for National Pancake Day varies each year because it falls on Shrove Tuesday, a traditional feasting day before the start of Lent on Ash Wednesday. This year, Shrove Tuesday is March 1st, and we have a rather special pancake recipe for you: Grilled Cheese Pancakes, savory pancakes for any meal of the day. Thanks to Wyke Farms, a producer of great English Cheddar, for the recipe.
While the Cheddar producer calls these Grilled Cheese Pancakes, they aren’t “grilled cheese.” Rather, they are two conventional pancakes cooked (“grilled”) in a pan with a layer of melted, grated cheese between them.
You can substitute any grating cheese that you like, including pepper jack or a chile-infused Cheddar.
And you can enjoy them for breakfast, brunch, lunch, even dinner.
> Make pancakes with your ice cream scoop.
RECIPE: GRILLED CHEESE PANCAKE STACK
Ingredients For 3 Servings, 2 Pancakes Each
1. COMBINE the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl.
2. WHISK together in a medium bowl the milk, egg, and melted butter. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well combined.
3. FRY the chorizo or bacon. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
4. MELT in a large pan over medium heat, 1/2 tablespoon butter. Pour 2 scoops of batter into the pan to make 2 pancakes. When bubbles appear (around 3-4 minutes)…
5. FLIP one pancake, top with the cheese mix. Flip the other pancake until cooked and then top the other. Repeat until the mix is used.
6. TOP each pancake duo with chorizo or bacon and serve.
 The “grilled” cheese pancakes (photo © Wyke Farms).
 Enjoy these pancakes with Cheddar or any favorite cheese, including Emmental/Swiss, Gruyere, and Jack (photo © Szakaly | Panther Media).
 Artisan chorizo (photo © Lola & Miguel).